VTNE Test Study Tips
You might think that after a two-year or four-year grueling grind that taught you how to become a veterinary technician that, once graduated, you only need to step into your new career. Not quite so. Like almost every career in the medical field – human or animal – there is an end of education licensing tests that you must pass qualifying to meet the minimum standards before you can obtain credentials allow you to work.
In order to become a certified veterinary technician, you need to pass the Veterinary Technician National Exam.
Although subject matter on each test changes, you can follow a list of common subject areas that you need to study well and commit to memory in order for you to do well on the test. These include the following:
• Learn everything you can about the parasites, especially their scientific names.
• Better make sure you know your math calculations because it will be quite a few dosage, concentration and fluid calculations to make.
• You’ll need to know the names and purposes of all instruments used in veterinary medicine.
• There are gonna be a lots of drug questions, so now you’re pharmacology especially about side effects, purposes, classifications and more.
• Microbiology is a must. There will be questions about how to isolate bacteria and fungi along with questions about gram staining and gram-negative and gram-positive organisms.
• Hopefully didn’t focus too much during your education because there will be questions on both small and large animal medicine. Although you might be planning to work with elephants or horses, you’ll need to have enough knowledge about small animal practice as well. And the reverse is true as well for small animal techs. There’s enough questioning from both large and small animal medicine that you gonna need an overall knowledge in order to do well.
• Don’t be surprised to find a lot questions about animal dentistry, specifically problems common in throughout the animal kingdom.
VTNE Practice Tests From the AAVSB
One of the best preparation aids you can find is provided by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards through its online practice test. The test is provided to assess the weaknesses and strengths of the student possesses and every one of the seven content areas will be found on the VTNE. This will the student to spend the appropriate time with study efforts in areas that need concentration. It is highly recommended that students using this online practice tests and printing capabilities to help them in their study efforts. There is a fee using the online practice test which is $45 per each use. The theologically take a 75 question online practice exam in a 90 minute time limit, which is designed to give you the experience one of real VTNE test would be like. Students participating in the practice test will be provided with diagnostic information by subject matter. However, results from the practice test are no way intended to be predicted is that results from the actual VTNE test.
Additional Help Offered
There is a number of different online sources for study guides and other health that you can easily download including:
• A candidate information handbook is available for download that includes sample questions in the major areas that you will be tested.
• A list of abbreviations used in the exam.
• Testing specs for the exam.
• References for the VTNE
• Here’s a list of VTNE review materials
• Requirements for exam eligibility after 2010
• Things you need to know prior to applying for the VTNE
• Sample letter documenting school attendance eligibility
Form a VTNE Study Group
Hopefully, there are many other students from your school who find themselves in the same situation needing to prepare for the Veterinary Technician National Exam. It is highly recommended that you gather together with a group of students who need to prepare for the exam and create a study group where one can help the other. Just like in the real world of veterinary medicine, teamwork is the foundation for great success.